Thursday, 20 February 2014

Alter a Box Challenge at That Craft Place.

Good monring all

Well finally I have arrived back in blog land and am excited to show my project for the latest challenge over at That Craft Place.

For this challenge I used a wooden Pencil box which I sell over at my shop www.thatcraftplace.co.uk 

I painted the box with DecoArt Americana acrylic paints. and sanded the top coat back to reveal the layer underneath. 

I embossed small pieces (about atc size) of silver mirri card with Tim Holtz "rivets" embossing folder.  I then  applied alcohol inks to the mirri.  I stuck each piece individually onto the lid of box and left to dry.

I went back over the entire box with black archival ink, highlighting the edges and highlighting areas on the mirri card. 

On the painted areas I used DecoArt Faux Finishing Medium to seal the box.

To finish I used a metallic alcohol ink to give a sheen and aged look to the finished pencil box.

I also added "grunged cogs"and keyhole to the top of the box. These are laser cut wooden pieces available from the Shop
I coated them with Triple Thick Glaze from DecoArt and allowed to dry.
Once dry, they became non-porous, and i covered them with mixed colour alcohol inks.

If you need any more instructions, please feel free to email me and ask!!!  thatcraftplaceltd@gmail.com

Enjoy :) 


I have entered this in the following challenges :
Altered Eclectics - ends 28th Feb.
Rhedd's Creative Spirit
Crafts4eternity

11 comments:

Erin Bentley said...

Hi Lisa, wow this is just amazing, love what you have done here and those gorgeous colours.

Hugs Erin x

Lisa Winnard said...

The colours are gorgeous Lisa. Lovely project.
Lisa x

Nicky Wilcox said...

Wow its amazing beautiful xx

Sammy said...

Oh, these are gorgeous! Love the steampunk look! Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

Judith Taylor - Wright said...

fabulous work hun and thanks for the great explanation x

Sue said...

What a great technique. These look too good to use as pencil cases. Thanks for joining us at Altered Eclectics.

Debs said...

I love this..... so divinely grungy... you are a clever cloggs! :-) x

That Craft Place Ltd said...

Thanks so much for all your lovely comments xxx

Beccalite said...

This is stunning Lisa, love it so much

Great Big Huge Hugs

Becca xxx

michele said...

Fabulous Steam Punk project! Thanks for joining us at Crafts 4 Eternity this week :) hugs Michele x

Mrs A. said...

Hi Lisa your entry over at Craft My Life has brought me here but you are not linked up. If this was your intention can you please link and I will pop back and leave you a comment.
Hugs Mrs A. DT. Craft My Life.